2022 was an eventful year: We lost the queen of England, the king of football and the Pope Emeritus. We witnessed the full scale invasion of a European sovereign State by a zombie colonial power.
We suffered some of the worst effects of climate change, with disasters affecting different parts of the globe. Here’s a quiz covering some of the events of 2022.
1. The 2022 Eurovision Song contest was won by Ukrainian folk-rap group Kalush Orchestra. What was the title of the song?
- We Shall Overcome
Answer: Option 2
2. On 2 January 2022, Richard Leakey, the renowned paleoanthropologist, conservationist and politician died aged 77 – What was his nationality?
Answer: Option 4, Kenian
3. On 15 November 2022, the world population reached a milestone. How many billions of people have we surpassed?
- 22 billion people
- 5 billion people
- 8 billion people
- 17 billion people
Answer: Option 3, 8 billion people
4. The 2022 United Nations Climate Change Conference (COP27) on climate change mitigation was held in November. What country was it held in?
Answer: Option 4, Egypt
5. The Pakistani Climate Minister announced that the August floods resulted in a substantial percentage of the country being under water. By how much was it said to be submerged?
- A third
- Two thirds
Answer: Option 1, a third
6. The new President of India was elected on 18 July 2022. Can you name the President?
- Sognia Gandhi
- Narendra Modi
- Droupadi Murmu
- Jawaharlal Nehru
Answer: Option 3, Droupadi Murmu
7. On 7 April 2022, the UN voted to suspend Russia from the Human Rights Council. How many of the 175 that took part voted to expel Russia?
- Option 93
- Option 120
- Option 143
- Option 104
Answer: Option 1 (58 countries abstained, while 24 voted against the suspension).
8. On 23 May 2022, A new Australian Prime Minister was sworn in. Who was it?
- Kevin Rudd
- Anthony Albanese
- Scott Morrison
- Julia Eileen Gillard
Answer: Option 2, Anthony Albanese (All the others were previous Prime Ministers).
9. On 20 April 2022, a European Southern Observatory team announced the discovery of micronovae. What are they?
- A new type of exploding star
- A COVID-19 variant
- A type of mould that is resistant to very high temperatures
- A toxic type of bacteria that was discovered in melting Arctic ice
Answer: Option 1, A new type of exploding star
10. On 8 July 2022, a former Prime Minister of Japan was assassinated while giving a public speech in the city of Nara. Which of the former Prime Ministers was it?
- Yoshirō Mori
- Shinzo Abe
- Tarō Asō
- Eisaku Satō
Answer: Option 2, Shinzo Abe